Manage Access Permissions
Google permissions are still managed by Google, even when documents are attached in Atlas. Google attachments are accessible to other users in Atlas ONLY if the permissions in Google are set to “Anyone with the link can view.” Otherwise, Atlas users must ask for permission to view your Google files.
If you change the permission settings from Private to Public or Shared for a Google file in Atlas:
- Permission settings are applied without the need to re-attach it.
- Your file is still unsearchable in Atlas, unless you remove it then re-attach it.
Set or edit your Google permission settings as follows:
1. Open the Google document that you want to link or update.
2. Click the Share icon in the top right corner.
3. Click on Get Shareable Link in the right corner of the pop-up menu to activate the permissions.
4. Click on the Anyone with the link can view drop-down menu to adjust the sharing setting to:
- a. Anyone with the link can edit
- b. Anyone with the link can comment
- c. Anyone with the link can view
5. Click Done, then go to Atlas and attach the document using the Google Drive icon.
Attach Google Drive files in Atlas
1. Click Add an Attachment for the selected category.
2. Click Google Drive link to start attaching your files.
3. Locate the file(s) in your Google Drive. You may select multiple files to upload at once. Click Select to upload the files into Atlas.
If a school is concerned about the document’s availability after users leave the school, it’s recommended that the users add admins or school’s leadership members as owners (collaborators) of their Google documents. This approach will keep a linked copy of the documents in the collaborators’ Google Drives as well.
1. Click the Share icon in the top right corner.
2. Type in the collaborator’s email address in the People field.
3. Click Done to save changes.